Looking to start up your own website? If so, then there are a couple of important considerations to keep in mind before you invest your time and money into a new project.
- What is the purpose of your website? Is your website just a blog for your personal thoughts and rants? Or is it a website for your store or business? Every website needs some kind of purpose because it makes other decisions a lot easier.
- Does your website have a name yet? Every website needs a name and also a domain name. You can name it after many different things or it could just be your business’s name.
- Are you going to create and manage it yourself? Creating a website is a lot easier these days than in the past. However, if you plan to add lots of unique features and want the design to stand out, then you may find it easier to work with a freelance website designer.
- How will you fund your website? Websites can be free, but if you want to stand out and have a large audience, then you generally want to pay for website hosting services to get the right support.
- Where will you find images and videos for it? Lastly, remember that you can't just take other people’s content and put it on your site unless it’s free to use! You’ll need to create your own content eventually.
While many of these decisions are easy to answer, some of them can be quite tricky. For example, picking a name and a domain name for your website can be challenging, so we’ve included an infographic below to help you choose the best domain name for your website.
Infographic Source: FirstSiteGuide.com