Who said that Scotch Whisky (no E!) is only for sipping? While Scotch has a well-earned reputation for being one of the most refined spirits enjoyed around the world, the reality is that it is a spirit designed to be enjoyed in many different ways. That's why we love the fact that our friends at Johnnie Walker have launched this campaign featuring Scotch Cocktails designed around everyday items that you probably have sitting in your kitchen already!
Even better than that though, they have launched a campaign supporting our favorite bartenders as part of Diageo's larger #TipsFromHome social pledge movement.
For every ingredient submission tagging @johnniewalkerus, #TipsFromHome and #DiageoDonation, Johnnie Walker will donate $1 up to $1 million to hospitality relief. In addition, bartenders will nominate a local charity to be featured on the #TipsfromHome donation site Givz. Kitchen Sink Drinks is part of Diageo North America’s #TipsFromHome social pledge movement rallying further support for the bar and restaurant community.
The program - officially launched last week on Johnnie Walker’s Instagram channel and spotlighted three bartenders from across the country mixing up signature cocktails featuring user-submitted ingredients found in people’s home pantries, including:
- Amanda Carto from Austin, TX – ‘The Beach Buoy’ cocktail
- Richard Mejia from Miami, FL – ‘Walking Tall’ cocktail
- Othon Nolasco from Los Angeles, CA – ‘Salud’ cocktail
Now we have their recipes here for you guys to try at home!
AMANDA CARTO (AUSTIN)
Ingredient Submission 1:
- Pineapple Juice
- Coconut Milk
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1.5 oz Johnnie Red Label
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- .5 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 Coconut Milk-Syrup (made from coconut milk and sugar)
- .5 Red Pepper Flake Syrup (dried red pepper flakes/sugar & syrup)
- Mix all ingredients together, serve in the coconut milk tin and garnish with Pineapple slice (if you have) & Red Pepper Flakes - make sure she suggests using a straw vs drinking out of the can due to sharp edges
- Coconut Milk-Syrup - mix together 2 oz. coconut milk and 1 oz sugar
- Red Pepper Flake Syrup - mix together red pepper flakes and 1 oz sugar over stovetop
OTHON NOLASCO (LOS ANGELES)
Ingredient Submission 2:
- Almond Milk
- Lime juice
- 1.5 oz Johnnie Walker Red Label
- 1.0 oz almond milk syrup (2:1 ratio almond milk to sugar)
- 0.5 lime juice
- Oil from orange peel
- In a shaker tin, shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass and serve with ice. Express oil from an orange peel. Garnish with lime wheel.
RICHARD MEJIA (MIAMI)
Ingredient Submission 1:
- Apple-Cinnamon Tea - suggest alternative, i.e. heating apples + cinnamon + sugar over stovetop OR other teas
- 1.5 oz Johnnie Walker Black Label
- 0.75 lemon juice
- 0.75 oz Apple-cinnamon tea syrup
- In a shaker tin, shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass over ice and top with soda. Garnish with an apple slice.
- Apple-Cinnamon Tea Syrup -
What's your favorite Johnnie Walker Scotch Cocktail here?